Sunday 15 May 2005

Proliferacy

I have been quite prolific lately, not only with this blog, but many other works in progress I am doing. Digging out old tapes of my first band and being very inspired by the quality of the lyric writing (I was only a lad when I wrote them!). I may publish some of the best ones here, but wonder do I keep to the original song titles or not? Does a rhyming lyric become a poem when taken out of context? Can a poem ever truly become a lyric for a song? Purists would argue 'No!' and I think I'd go along with that. But sometimes the esthetic of a lyric can lift it into the sphere of True Poetry and I suppose it's only fair that the reverse may also be true. Some of my poetry could easily outdo many a pop songs lyrics for grammatical dexterity. Maybe I am a great lyricist but did not know it!

No comments: